1. As usual, he put on a show as though his trip______ a great success.
A. had been B. has been C. were D. was
2. Looking round the town, he felt as though he ______ away for ages.
A. has been B. was C. is D. had been
3. John is so strongly built that he looks as if he ______ as elephant.
A. lifts B. is lifting C. lifted D. could lift
4. He described the town as if he ______ it himself.
A. had seen B. has seen C. saw D. sees
5. Most insurance agents would rather you______ anything about collecting claims until they investigate the situation.
A. do B. don’t C. didn’t D. didn’t do
分析：(D)would rather后接从句需要用虚拟语气，形式为过去式，表示对目前或以后的假设，或 为过去完成式表示对过去的状况的假设。6. Although most adopted persons want the right to know who their natural parents are, some who have found them wish that they ______ the experience of meeting.
A. hadn’t B. didn’t have had C. hadn’t had D. hadn’t have
7. Without electronic computers, much of today’s advanced technology ______ .
A. will not have been achieved B. have not been achieved
C. would not have been achieved D. had not been achieved
分析：(C)这是一人含蓄虚拟条件句，通过介词短语without,表示潜在的一种假设，而主句中的状况也早已经发生，所 以是对过去状况的一种假设，因此用would not have been achieved这一形式。
8. He told her to return the book in time so that others ______ a chance to read it .
A. may have B. will have C. would have D. might have
9. It is time that the government ______ measures to protect the rare birds and animals.
A. takes B. took C. has taken D. taking
分析：(B)It is time that是一种需要从句用虚拟语气的容易见到句型。虚拟语气形式为动词的过去式。
10. He was very busy yesterday, otherwise he ______ to the meeting.
A. would come B. came C. would have come D. had come
分析：(C)otherwise用来表示一种含蓄的虚拟假设，由于是对过去(yesterday)的状况的假设，所 以应该用would have come形式。